Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Luke 7:1-17

[1]After Jesus had finished all his sayings in the hearing of the people, he
entered Capernaum. [2]A centurion there had a slave whom he valued highly, and
who was ill and close to death. [3]When he heard about Jesus, he sent some
Jewish elders to him, asking him to come and heal his slave. [4]When they came
to Jesus, they appealed to him earnestly, saying, "He is worthy of having you
do this for him, [5]for he loves our people, and it is he who built our
synagogue for us." [6]And Jesus went with them, but when he was not far from
the house, the centurion sent friends to say to him, "Lord, do not trouble
yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; [7]therefore I
did not presume to come to you. But only speak the word, and let my servant be
healed. [8]For I also am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me;
and I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes, and to another, 'Come,' and he comes, and
to my slave, 'Do this,' and the slave does it." [9]When Jesus heard this he
was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd that followed him, he said, "I
tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith." [10]When those who had
been sent returned to the house, they found the slave in good health. 

[11]Soon afterwards he went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a
large crowd went with him. [12]As he approached the gate of the town, a man
who had died was being carried out. He was his mother's only son, and she was
a widow; and with her was a large crowd from the town. [13]When the Lord saw
her, he had compassion for her and said to her, "Do not weep." [14]Then he
came forward and touched the bier, and the bearers stood still. And he said,
"Young man, I say to you, rise!" [15]The dead man sat up and began to speak,
and Jesus gave him to his mother. [16]Fear seized all of them; and they
glorified God, saying, "A great prophet has risen among us!" and "God has
looked favorably on his people!" [17]This word about him spread throughout
Judea and all the surrounding country. 


No comments:

Post a Comment