Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Matthew 6:7-15 and Psalm 66

Matthew 6:7-15

[7]"When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. [8]Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 

[9]"Pray then in this way: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. [10]Your kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. [11]Give us this day our daily bread. [12]And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. [13]And do not bring us to the time of trial, but rescue us from the evil one. [14]For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; [15]but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses 

  *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Psalm 66

[1]   Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth;   
[2]        sing the glory of his name;   
         give to him glorious praise.   
[3]   Say to God, "How awesome are your deeds!   
         Because of your great power, your enemies cringe before you.   
[4]   All the earth worships you;   
         they sing praises to you,   
         sing praises to your name. Selah

[5]   Come and see what God has done:   
         he is awesome in his deeds among mortals.   
[6]   He turned the sea into dry land;   
         they passed through the river on foot.   
    There we rejoiced in him,   
[7]        who rules by his might forever,   
    whose eyes keep watch on the nations --   
         let the rebellious not exalt themselves. Selah

[8]   Bless our God, O peoples,   
         let the sound of his praise be heard,   
[9]   who has kept us among the living,   
         and has not let our feet slip.   
[10]  For you, O God, have tested us;   
         you have tried us as silver is tried.   
[11]  You brought us into the net;   
         you laid burdens on our backs;   
[12]  you let people ride over our heads;   
         we went through fire and through water;   
    yet you have brought us out to a spacious place.

[13]  I will come into your house with burnt offerings;   
         I will pay you my vows,   
[14]  those that my lips uttered   
         and my mouth promised when I was in trouble.   
[15]  I will offer to you burnt offerings of fatlings,   
         with the smoke of the sacrifice of rams;   
    I will make an offering of bulls and goats. Selah

[16]  Come and hear, all you who fear God,   
         and I will tell what he has done for me.   
[17]  I cried aloud to him,   
         and he was extolled with my tongue.   
[18]  If I had cherished iniquity in my heart,   
         the Lord would not have listened.   
[19]  But truly God has listened;   
         he has given heed to the words of my prayer.

[20]  Blessed be God,   
         because he has not rejected my prayer   
         or removed his steadfast love from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment