Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Matthew 3:13-17 and Psalm 9

Matthew 3:13-17

[13]Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him.
[14]John would have prevented him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and
do you come to me?" [15]But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now; for it is
proper for us in this way to fulfil all righteousness." Then he consented.
[16]And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water,
suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God
descending like a dove and alighting on him. [17]And a voice from heaven said,
"This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased." 

*****************************************************

Psalm 9

[1]   I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart;   
         I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.   
[2]   I will be glad and exult in you;   
         I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

[3]   When my enemies turned back,   
         they stumbled and perished before you.   
[4]   For you have maintained my just cause;   
         you have sat on the throne giving righteous judgment.

[5]   You have rebuked the nations, you have destroyed the wicked;   
         you have blotted out their name forever and ever.   
[6]   The enemies have vanished in everlasting ruins;   
         their cities you have rooted out;   
         the very memory of them has perished.

[7]   But the LORD sits enthroned forever,   
         he has established his throne for judgment.   
[8]   He judges the world with righteousness;   
         he judges the peoples with equity.

[9]   The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed,   
         a stronghold in times of trouble.   
[10]  And those who know your name put their trust in you,   
         for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.

[11  ]Sing praises to the LORD, who dwells in Zion.   
         Declare his deeds among the peoples.   
[12]  For he who avenges blood is mindful of them;   
         he does not forget the cry of the afflicted.

[13]  Be gracious to me, O LORD.   
         See what I suffer from those who hate me;   
         you are the one who lifts me up from the gates of death,   
[14]  so that I may recount all your praises,   
         and, in the gates of daughter Zion,   
         rejoice in your deliverance.

[15]  The nations have sunk in the pit that they made;   
         in the net that they hid has their own foot been caught.   
[16]  The LORD has made himself known, he has executed judgment;   
         the wicked are snared in the work of their own hands.              
Higgaion.  Selah

[17]  The wicked shall depart to Sheol,   
         all the nations that forget God.

[18]  For the needy shall not always be forgotten,   
         nor the hope of the poor perish forever.

[19]  Rise up, O LORD! Do not let mortals prevail;   
         let the nations be judged before you.   
[20]  Put them in fear, O LORD;   
         let the nations know that they are only human.                      
           Selah

No comments:

Post a Comment