Monday, December 10, 2012

Psalm 40


[1]   I waited patiently for the LORD;  
          he inclined to me and heard my cry.  
[2]   He drew me up from the desolate pit,  
          out of the miry bog,  
     and set my feet upon a rock,  
          making my steps secure.  
[3]   He put a new song in my mouth,  
          a song of praise to our God.  
     Many will see and fear,  
          and put their trust in the LORD.

[4]   Happy are those who make  
          the LORD their trust,  
     who do not turn to the proud,  
          to those who go astray after false gods.  
[5]   You have multiplied, O LORD my God,  
          your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us;  
          none can compare with you.  
     Were I to proclaim and tell of them,  
          they would be more than can be counted.

[6]   Sacrifice and offering you do not desire,  
          but you have given me an open ear.  
     Burnt offering and sin offering  
          you have not required.  
[7]   Then I said, "Here I am;  
          in the scroll of the book it is written of me.  
[8]   I delight to do your will, O my God;  
          your law is within my heart."

[9]   I have told the glad news of deliverance  
          in the great congregation;  
     see, I have not restrained my lips,  
          as you know, O LORD.  
[10]  I have not hidden your saving help within my heart,  
          I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation;  
     I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness  
          from the great congregation.

[11]  Do not, O LORD, withhold  
          your mercy from me;  
     let your steadfast love and your faithfulness  
          keep me safe forever.  
[12]  For evils have encompassed me  
          without number;  
     my iniquities have overtaken me,  
          until I cannot see;  
     they are more than the hairs of my head,  
          and my heart fails me.

[13]  Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me;  
          O LORD, make haste to help me.  
[14]  Let all those be put to shame and confusion  
          who seek to snatch away my life;  
     let those be turned back and brought to dishonor  
          who desire my hurt.  
[15]  Let those be appalled because of their shame  
          who say to me, "Aha, Aha!"

[16]  But may all who seek you  
          rejoice and be glad in you;  
     may those who love your salvation  
          say continually, "Great is the LORD!"  
[17]  As for me, I am poor and needy,  
          but the Lord takes thought for me.  
     You are my help and my deliverer;  
          do not delay, O my God.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment