Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Matthew 28:1-16 and Psalm 118

Matthew 28:1-16

[1]After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb. [2]And suddenly there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord, descending from heaven, came and rolled back the stone and sat on it. [3]His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow. [4]For fear of him the guards shook and became like dead men. [5]But the angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid; I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified. [6]He is not here; for he has been raised, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. [7]Then go quickly and tell his disciples, 'He has been raised from the dead, and indeed he is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him.' This is my message for you." [8]So they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. [9]Suddenly Jesus met them and said, "Greetings!" And they came to him, took hold of his feet, and worshiped him. [10]Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me."

[11]While they were going, some of the guard went into the city and told the chief priests everything that had happened. [12]After the priests had assembled with the elders, they devised a plan to give a large sum of money to the soldiers, [13]telling them, "You must say, 'His disciples came by night and stole him away while we were asleep.' [14]If this comes to the governor's ears, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble." [15]So they took the money and did as they were directed. And this story is still told among the Jews to this day.

[16]Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them.

****************************************
Psalm 118

[1]   O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
          his steadfast love endures forever!

[2]   Let Israel say,
          "His steadfast love endures forever."
[3]   Let the house of Aaron say,
          "His steadfast love endures forever."
[4]   Let those who fear the LORD say,
          "His steadfast love endures forever."

[5]   Out of my distress I called on the LORD;
          the LORD answered me and set me in a broad place.
[6]   With the LORD on my side I do not fear.
          What can mortals do to me?
[7]   The LORD is on my side to help me;
          I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.
[8]   It is better to take refuge in the LORD
          than to put confidence in mortals.
[9]   It is better to take refuge in the LORD
          than to put confidence in princes.

[10]  All nations surrounded me;
          in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
[11]  They surrounded me, surrounded me on every side;
          in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
[12]  They surrounded me like bees;
          they blazed like a fire of thorns;
          in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
[13]  I was pushed hard, so that I was falling,
          but the LORD helped me.
[14]  The LORD is my strength and my might;
          he has become my salvation.

[15]  There are glad songs of victory in the tents of the righteous:
     "The right hand of the LORD does valiantly;
[16]       the right hand of the LORD is exalted;
          the right hand of the LORD does valiantly."
[17]  I shall not die, but I shall live,
          and recount the deeds of the LORD.
[18]  The LORD has punished me severely,
          but he did not give me over to death.

[19]  Open to me the gates of righteousness,
          that I may enter through them
          and give thanks to the LORD.

[20]  This is the gate of the LORD;
          the righteous shall enter through it.

[21]  I thank you that you have answered me
          and have become my salvation.
[22]  The stone that the builders rejected
          has become the chief cornerstone.
[23]  This is the LORD's doing;
          it is marvelous in our eyes.
[24]  This is the day that the LORD has made;
          let us rejoice and be glad in it.
[25]  Save us, we beseech you, O LORD!
          O LORD, we beseech you, give us success!

[26]  Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the LORD.
          We bless you from the house of the LORD.
[27]  The LORD is God,
          and he has given us light.
     Bind the festal procession with branches,
          up to the horns of the altar.

[28]  You are my God, and I will give thanks to you;
          you are my God, I will extol you.

[29]  O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good,
          for his steadfast love endures forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment