Tuesday, April 29, 2014

John 14:18-31 and Psalm 66

John 14:18-31

[18]"I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. [19]In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. [20]On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. [21]They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them." [22]Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, "Lord, how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to the world?"
[23]Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.
[24]Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.

[25]"I have said these things to you while I am still with you. [26]But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. [27]Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.
[28]You heard me say to you, 'I am going away, and I am coming to you.' If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I. [29]And now I have told you this before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe. [30]I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no power over me; [31]but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us be on our way."

****************************************

Psalm 66

[1]   Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth;  
[2]        sing the glory of his name;  
          give to him glorious praise.  
[3]   Say to God, "How awesome are your deeds!  
          Because of your great power, your enemies cringe before you.  
[4]   All the earth worships you;  
          they sing praises to you,  
          sing praises to your name."                                        
             Selah

[5]   Come and see what God has done:  
          he is awesome in his deeds among mortals.  
[6]   He turned the sea into dry land;  
          they passed through the river on foot.  
     There we rejoiced in him,  
[7]        who rules by his might forever,  
     whose eyes keep watch on the nations --  
          let the rebellious not exalt themselves.                          
     Selah

[8]   Bless our God, O peoples,  
          let the sound of his praise be heard,  
[9]   who has kept us among the living,  
          and has not let our feet slip.  
[10]  For you, O God, have tested us;  
          you have tried us as silver is tried.  
[11]  You brought us into the net;  
          you laid burdens on our backs;  
[12]  you let people ride over our heads;  
          we went through fire and through water;  
     yet you have brought us out to a spacious place.

[13]  I will come into your house with burnt offerings;  
          I will pay you my vows,  
[14]  those that my lips uttered  
          and my mouth promised when I was in trouble.  
[15]  I will offer to you burnt offerings of fatlings,  
          with the smoke of the sacrifice of rams;  
     I will make an offering of bulls and goats.                            
    Selah

[16]  Come and hear, all you who fear God,  
          and I will tell what he has done for me.  
[17]  I cried aloud to him,  
          and he was extolled with my tongue.  
[18]  If I had cherished iniquity in my heart,  
          the Lord would not have listened.  
[19]  But truly God has listened;  
          he has given heed to the words of my prayer.

[20]  Blessed be God,  
          because he has not rejected my prayer  
          or removed his steadfast love from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment