Friday, February 28, 2014

Proverbs 8:1-21 and Psalm 88

Proverbs 8:1-21

[1]Does not wisdom call, and does not understanding raise her voice? [2] On the heights, beside the way, at the crossroads she takes her stand; [3] beside the gates in front of the town, at the entrance of the portals she cries out: [4] "To you, O people, I call, and my cry is to all that live. [5] O simple ones, learn prudence; acquire intelligence, you who lack it. [6] Hear, for I will speak noble things, and from my lips will come what is right; [7] for my mouth will utter truth; wickedness is an abomination to my lips. [8] All the words of my mouth are righteous; there is nothing twisted or crooked in them. [9] They are all straight to one who understands and right to those who find knowledge. [10] Take my instruction instead of silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold; [11] for wisdom is better than jewels, and all that you may desire cannot compare with her. [12] I, wisdom, live with prudence, and I attain knowledge and discretion. [13] The fear of the LORD is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate. [14] I have good advice and sound wisdom; I have insight, I have strength. [15] By me kings reign, and rulers decree what is just; [16] by me rulers rule, and nobles, all who govern rightly. [17] I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me. [18] Riches and honor are with me, enduring wealth and prosperity. [19] My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold, and my yield than choice silver. [20] I walk in the way of righteousness, along the paths of justice, [21] endowing with wealth those who love me, and filling their treasuries. 

****************************************

Psalm 88

[1]   O LORD, God of my salvation,   
    when, at night, I cry out in your presence,   
[2]   let my prayer come before you;   
         incline your ear to my cry.

[3]   For my soul is full of troubles,   
         and my life draws near to Sheol.   
[4]   I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;   
         I am like those who have no help,   
[5]   like those forsaken among the dead,   
         like the slain that lie in the grave,   
    like those whom you remember no more,   
         for they are cut off from your hand.   
[6]   You have put me in the depths of the Pit,   
         in the regions dark and deep.   
[7]   Your wrath lies heavy upon me,   
         and you overwhelm me with all your waves.               Selah

[8]   You have caused my companions to shun me;   
         you have made me a thing of horror to them.   
    I am shut in so that I cannot escape;   
[9]        my eye grows dim through sorrow.   
    Every day I call on you, O LORD;   
         I spread out my hands to you.   
[10]  Do you work wonders for the dead?   
         Do the shades rise up to praise you?                                
 Selah   
[11]  Is your steadfast love declared in the grave,   
         or your faithfulness in Abaddon?   
[12]  Are your wonders known in the darkness,   
         or your saving help in the land of forgetfulness?

[13]  But I, O LORD, cry out to you;   
         in the morning my prayer comes before you.   
[14]  O LORD, why do you cast me off?   
         Why do you hide your face from me?   
[15]  Wretched and close to death from my youth up,   
         I suffer your terrors; I am desperate.   
[16]  Your wrath has swept over me;   
         your dread assaults destroy me.   
[17]  They surround me like a flood all day long;   
         from all sides they close in on me.   
[18]  You have caused friend and neighbor to shun me;   
         my companions are in darkness.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment