Thursday, February 27, 2014

Proverbs 7:1-27 and Psalm 143

Proverbs 7:1-27

[1]My child, keep my words and store up my commandments with you; [2]keep my commandments and live, keep my teachings as the apple of your eye; [3]bind them on your fingers, write them on the tablet of your heart. [4]Say to wisdom, "You are my sister", and call insight your intimate friend, [5]that they may keep you from the loose woman, from the adulteress with her smooth words.

[6]For at the window of my house I looked out through my lattice, [7]and I saw among the simple ones, I observed among the youths, a young man without sense, [8]passing along the street near her corner, taking the road to her house [9]in the twilight, in the evening, at the time of night and darkness.

[10]Then a woman comes towards him, decked out like a prostitute, wily of heart. [11]She is loud and wayward; her feet do not stay at home; [12]now in the street, now in the squares, and at every corner she lies in wait. [13]She seizes him and kisses him, and with impudent face she says to him: [14]"I had to offer sacrifices, and today I have paid my vows; [15]so now I have come out to meet you, to seek you eagerly, and I have found you! [16]I have decked my couch with coverings, coloured spreads of Egyptian linen; [17]I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon. [18]Come, let us take our fill of love until morning; let us delight ourselves with love. [19]For my husband is not at home; he has gone on a long journey. [20]He took a bag of money with him; he will not come home until full moon."

[21]With much seductive speech she persuades him; with her smooth talk she compels him. [22]Right away he follows her, and goes like an ox to the slaughter, or bounds like a stag towards the trap [23]until an arrow pierces its entrails. He is like a bird rushing into a snare, not knowing that it will cost him his life.

[24]And now, my children, listen to me, and be attentive to the words of my mouth. [25]Do not let your hearts turn aside to her ways; do not stray into her paths. [26]for many are those she has laid low, and numerous are her victims. [27]Her house is the way to Sheol, going down to the chambers of death.

****************************************

Psalm 143

[1]   Hear my prayer, O LORD;  
          give ear to my supplications in your faithfulness;  
          answer me in your righteousness.  
[2]   Do not enter into judgment with your servant,  
          for no one living is righteous before you.

[3]   For the enemy has pursued me,  
          crushing my life to the ground,  
          making me sit in darkness like those long dead.  
[4]   Therefore my spirit faints within me;  
          my heart within me is appalled.

[5]   I remember the days of old,  
          I think about all your deeds,  
          I meditate on the works of your hands.  
[6]   I stretch out my hands to you;  
          my soul thirsts for you like a parched land.                  
Selah

[7]   Answer me quickly, O LORD;  
          my spirit fails.  
     Do not hide your face from me,  
          or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.  
[8]   Let me hear of your steadfast love in the morning,  
          for in you I put my trust.  
     Teach me the way I should go,  
          for to you I lift up my soul.

[9]   Save me, O LORD, from my enemies;  
          I have fled to you for refuge.  
[10]  Teach me to do your will,  
          for you are my God.  
     Let your good spirit lead me  
          on a level path.

[11]  For your name's sake, O LORD, preserve my life.  
          In your righteousness bring me out of trouble.  
[12]  In your steadfast love cut off my enemies,  
          and destroy all my adversaries,  
          for I am your servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment