Friday, March 23, 2012

Psalm 22

[1] My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?

[2] O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer;
and by night, but find no rest.

[3] Yet you are holy,
enthroned on the praises of Israel.
[4] In you our ancestors trusted;
they trusted, and you delivered them.
[5] To you they cried, and were saved;
in you they trusted, and were not put to shame.

[6] But I am a worm, and not human;
scorned by others, and despised by the people.
[7] All who see me mock at me;
they make mouths at me, they shake their heads;
[8] "Commit your cause to the LORD; let him deliver --
let him rescue the one in whom he delights!"

[9] Yet it was you who took me from the womb;
you kept me safe on my mother's breast.
[10] On you I was cast from my birth,
and since my mother bore me you have been my God.
[11] Do not be far from me,
for trouble is near
and there is no one to help.

[12] Many bulls encircle me,
strong bulls of Bashan surround me;
[13] they open wide their mouths at me,
like a ravening and roaring lion.

[14] I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint;
my heart is like wax;
it is melted within my breast;
[15] my mouth is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to my jaws;
you lay me in the dust of death.



[16] For dogs are all around me;
a company of evildoers encircles me.
My hands and feet have shriveled;
[17] I can count all my bones.
They stare and gloat over me;
[18] they divide my clothes among themselves,
and for my clothing they cast lots.

[19] But you, O LORD, do not be far away!
O my help, come quickly to my aid!
[20] Deliver my soul from the sword,
life from the power of the dog!
[21] Save me from the mouth of the lion!

From the horns of the wild oxen you have rescued me.
[22] I will tell of your name to my brothers and sisters;
in the midst of the congregation I will praise you:
[23] You who fear the LORD, praise him!
All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him;
stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel!
[24] For he did not despise or abhor
the affliction of the afflicted;
he did not hide his face from me,
but heard when I cried to him.

[25] From you comes my praise in the great congregation;
my vows I will pay before those who fear him.
[26] The poor shall eat and be satisfied;
those who seek him shall praise the LORD.
May your hearts live forever!

[27] All the ends of the earth shall remember
and turn to the LORD;
and all the families of the nations
shall worship before him.
[28] For dominion belongs to the LORD,
and he rules over the nations.

[29] To him, indeed, shall all who sleep in the earth bow down;
before him shall bow all who go down to the dust,
and I shall live for him.
[30] Posterity will serve him;
future generations will be told about the Lord,
[31] and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn,
saying that he has done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment