Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Genesis 16:1-14; Psalm 91

Genesis 16:1-14
[1]Now Sarai, Abram's wife, bore him no children. She had an Egyptian slave-girl whose name was Hagar, [2]and Sarai said to Abram, "You see that the LORD has prevented me from bearing children; go in to my slave-girl; it may be that I shall obtain children by her." And Abram listened to the voice of Sarai. [3]So, after Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan, Sarai, Abram's wife, took Hagar the Egyptian, her slave-girl, and gave her to her husband Abram as a wife.[4]He went in to Hagar, and she conceived; and when she saw that she had conceived, she looked with contempt on her mistress.

[5]Then Sarai said to Abram, "May the wrong done to me be on you! I gave my slave-girl to your embrace, and when she saw that she had conceived, she looked on me with contempt. May the LORD judge between you and me!" [6]But Abram said to Sarai, "Your slave-girl is in your power; do to her as you please." Then Sarai dealt harshly with her, and she ran away from her.

[7]The angel of the LORD found her by a spring of water in the wilderness, the spring on the way to Shur. [8]And he said, "Hagar, slave-girl of Sarai, where have you come from and where are you going?" She said, "I am running away from my mistress Sarai." [9]The angel of the LORD said to her, "Return to your mistress, and submit to her." [10]The angel of the LORD also said to her, "I will so greatly multiply your offspring that they cannot be counted for multitude." [11]And the angel of the LORD said to her,

"Now you have conceived and shall bear a son;
you shall call him Ishmael,
for the LORD has given heed to your affliction.
[12]He shall be a wild ass of a man,
with his hand against everyone,
and everyone's hand against him;
and he shall live at odds with all his kin."

[13]So she named the LORD who spoke to her, "You are El-roi"; for she said, "Have I really seen God and remained alive after seeing him?" [14]Therefore the well was called Beer-lahai-roi; it lies between Kadesh and Bered.

*************************************************

Psalm 91
[1]   You who live in the shelter of the Most High,  
          who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,  
[2]   will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress;  
          my God, in whom I trust."  
[3]   For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler  
          and from the deadly pestilence;  
[4]   he will cover you with his pinions,  
          and under his wings you will find refuge;  
          his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.  
[5]   You will not fear the terror of the night,  
          or the arrow that flies by day,  
[6]   or the pestilence that stalks in darkness,  
          or the destruction that wastes at noonday.

[7]   A thousand may fall at your side,  
          ten thousand at your right hand,  
          but it will not come near you.  
[8]   You will only look with your eyes  
          and see the punishment of the wicked.

[9]   Because you have made the LORD your refuge,  
          the Most High your dwelling place,  
[10]  no evil shall befall you,  
          no scourge come near your tent.

[11]  For he will command his angels concerning you  
          to guard you in all your ways.  
[12]  On their hands they will bear you up,  
          so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.  
[13]  You will tread on the lion and the adder,  
          the young lion and the serpent you will trample under foot.

[14]  Those who love me, I will deliver;  
          I will protect those who know my name.  
[15]  When they call to me, I will answer them;  
          I will be with them in trouble,  
          I will rescue them and honor them.

[16]  With long life I will satisfy them,  
          and show them my salvation.


No comments:

Post a Comment