Monday, November 3, 2014

Psalm 5 and Psalm 82

PSALM 5

1   Give ear to my words, O LORD; 
          give heed to my sighing. 
2   Listen to the sound of my cry, 
          my King and my God, 
          for to you I pray. 
3   O LORD, in the morning you hear my voice; 
          in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch.


4   For you are not a God who delights in wickedness; 
          evil will not sojourn with you. 
5   The boastful will not stand before your eyes; 
          you hate all evildoers. 
6   You destroy those who speak lies; 
          the LORD abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful.


7   But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love, 
          will enter your house, 
     I will bow down toward your holy temple 
          in awe of you. 
8   Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness 
          because of my enemies; 
          make your way straight before me.


9   For there is no truth in their mouths; 
          their hearts are destruction; 
     their throats are open graves; 
          they flatter with their tongues. 
10  Make them bear their guilt, O God; 
          let them fall by their own counsels; 
     because of their many transgressions cast them out, 
          for they have rebelled against you.


11  But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; 
          let them ever sing for joy. 
     Spread your protection over them, 
          so that those who love your name may exult in you. 
12  For you bless the righteous, O LORD;
          you cover them with favor as with a shield.


________________________________


PSALM 82

1   God has taken his place in the divine council; 
          in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: 
2   “How long will you judge unjustly 
          and show partiality to the wicked?

3   Give justice to the weak and the orphan; 
          maintain the right of the lowly and the destitute. 
4   Rescue the weak and the needy; 
          deliver them from the hand of the wicked.” 

5   They have neither knowledge nor understanding, 
          they walk around in darkness; 
          all the foundations of the earth are shaken.


6   I say, “You are gods, 
          children of the Most High, all of you; 
7   nevertheless, you shall die like mortals, 
          and fall like any prince.”


8   Rise up, O God, judge the earth; 
          for all the nations belong to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment