Monday, October 27, 2014

Psalm 62 and Jonah 1:17–2:10

PSALM 62

1   For God alone my soul waits in silence;
          from him comes my salvation.
2   He alone is my rock and my salvation,
          my fortress; I shall never be shaken.

3   How long will you assail a person,
          will you batter your victim, all of you,
          as you would a leaning wall, a tottering fence?
4   Their only plan is to bring down a person of prominence.
          They take pleasure in falsehood;
     they bless with their mouths,
          but inwardly they curse. Selah

5   For God alone my soul waits in silence,
          for my hope is from him.
6   He alone is my rock and my salvation,
          my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7   On God rests my deliverance and my honor;
          my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.

8   Trust in him at all times, O people;
          pour out your heart before him;
          God is a refuge for us. Selah

9   Those of low estate are but a breath,
          those of high estate are a delusion;
     in the balances they go up;
          they are together lighter than a breath.
10  Put no confidence in extortion,
          and set no vain hopes on robbery;
          if riches increase, do not set your heart on them.

11  Once God has spoken;
          twice have I heard this:
     that power belongs to God,
12       and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord.
     For you repay to all
          according to their work.

______________________________________________________________________

JONAH 1:17–2:10

1:17 But the Lord provided a large fish to swallow up Jonah; and Jonah was in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights.
2:1 Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the belly of the fish, 2saying, 
"I called to the Lord out of my distress, 
     and he answered me; 
out of the belly of Sheol I cried, 
     and you heard my voice.
3 You cast me into the deep, 
     into the heart of the seas, 
     and the flood surrounded me; 
all your waves and your billows 
     passed over me. 
4 Then I said, 'I am driven away 
     from your sight; 
how shall I look again 
     upon your holy temple?' 
5 The waters closed in over me; 
     the deep surrounded me; 
weeds were wrapped around my head 
6     at the roots of the mountains. 
I went down to the land 
     whose bars closed upon me for ever; 
yet you brought up my life from the Pit, 
     O Lord my God. 
7 As my life was ebbing away, 
     I remembered the Lord; 
and my prayer came to you, 
     into your holy temple. 
8 Those who worship vain idols 
     forsake their true loyalty. 
9 But I with the voice of thanksgiving 
     will sacrifice to you; 
what I have vowed I will pay. 
     Deliverance belongs to the Lord!" 
10 Then the Lord spoke to the fish, and it spewed Jonah out upon the dry land.

No comments:

Post a Comment